Friday 24 February 2023

Final project update 24/02/22

Final project update                                                                                                                                      24/02/22

Figure 1: Hawaii lavaflow:https://twitter.com/5minofscience/status/996024956516478976

I've currently finished the first draft composite of the lava sequence on Dundee Law with an After Effects lava effect as well as a reveal of the double discs symbol that will dominate the final cut of the film.  The lava layer is composed on a 3D plane and is masked around the bench which I'm standing on, and I had to speed up the reveal of my double discs logo to make it more enticing.  I firstly made the lava animation in After Effects, then integrated the double discs into the lava and blended this composition into the live-action footage.

Figure 2: Lava composite test

The main challenge with the double discs animation is to integrate it into the composited footage for the second draft of the final shots.  The animation will need to have the same effects as the rest of the VFX shot, such as glow, displacement map and fractal noise to make it look like it's part of the vision, as it's intended to be.  For some shots, such as the distorted rotoscope vision, I will need to avoid showing the double discs to indicate that there is no harmony in the shot.  I will also need to consider whether I should focus on making the final output more of a VFX showcase rather than a narrative film.  I know that a decision like that at this stage in the degree is rather inept, but the reactions to the very first draft were not encouraging.  The final film will likely have a greater emphasis on the animation.

Figure 3: 3D animation whale made in Maya, Blender and 3DS Max: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9mEZlN

This is an example of a whale animation made in 3D from ArtStation.  Obviously my whale will look nowhere near as good as this one, but I will use it as reference for a plausible whale movement and proportions.  If I size the animation correctly, it should give the appropriate sense of awe and size that I'm after in my shot.  If I were to rotoscope this footage, I would have to apply enough original detail and movement to avoid plagiarism.  

Figure 4: Fish swimming footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8KY0Zm6bug

This is a reference for the Pictish fish animation in my film.  Previously, I had tried to rotoscope some footage of fish swimming across the screen, but I had problems with proportions and drifting parts of the fish.  I think making an animation in place and then moving the figure in After Effects or TV Paint might yield more consistent results.  I've also found some footage of some actual salmon swimming which is what the Pictish symbol is based on, so hopefully the rotoscoped results of that should be neater.


Figures 5 and 6: Fish swimming references

Figure 7: Fish animation cycle:https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhrJjnKIYhYZ2WnC5Rd0Q0YOFQBeiw75Oc058rKAr811MFD3aaXutAQjqZRT7RAAWFLo63aVfQyIFhZZITlzGALQ_QhIuDn19JGZM2DfjJKJF4n_VOK8IR02F4D4C1mYlExFYnS2ZPwb_w/s1600/the+science+of+how+fish+swim+3.JPG


Animations complete (with first draft)
  • Boar animation
  • Lava animation
  • Pictish penguin animation
  • Pictish deer
  • Hand join animation
  • Pictish figure
  • Painting filter
  • Pictish snake
  • Jute growing
Animations to do:
  • Distorted vision
  • Alien landing
  • Whale flying
  • Typewriter rotoscope
  • Harp
  • Rotoscoped visions
  • Pictish fish
  • Rotoscoped jute machine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final blog of degree 26/7/23

 Final blog of degree                                                                                                                       ...