Tuesday 7 February 2023

Final Project update 07/02/23

Final Project update                                                                                                                                07/02/23

Figure 1: Pictish figure trace outline

As of February 7th, I have now completed another short segment of animation for my final project, featuring a short, blinking animation of a recreated Pictish figure, which can be found on a cross-slab outside Kirriemuir.  I have chosen this figure because of how much Kirriemuir has resonated with me over the years since moving from Plymouth.  I have adapted this figure into my film with some indication of additional life with blinking and later a hand extension which will be the final shot in my film before fading to black.  I have also learned the technique of easily recycling footage on TV Paint to add some boiling effects to the frames where the figure isn't blinking.  When I just extended the still footage, it looked rather boring.  So far my compositing techniques have been very vanilla, given I am mainly placing animation cells on top of live-action footage.  I am aware that more professional methods of compositing would involve more masking, manipulating the background and piecing together the animation elements crafted by different people.  
Figure 2: Pictish figure compositing test

I have also commenced work on animating and compositing the hand join animation that will serve as the base for the final shot of the film.  I will animate a rotoscoped hand that will act as the hand of the Pictish figure which my protagonist will join hands with as a simple of the arc he has undertaken in the film.  I have just realised that I need to also add my double discs animation to all of my scenes, but this shouldn't take too long.  To match the hand style of the symbol, I have decided to adopt a more rustic style that it is more akin to a shadow of an arm rather than a fully detailed creation.  Of course, I might have to change the animation style as per the tutor's suggestions.






































































































  • Figure 3: Kirriemuir Pictish slab replica: https://www.monikierockart.co.uk/product-page/kirriemuir-1-replica-pictish-stone

    Animations/compositions complete (as of 08/02/23):
    • Jute on Cox's Stack
    • Penguin walk cycle
    • Pictish Deer
    • Pictish figure
    • Pictish boar
    • Double discs
    Animations/compositions to do:
    • Pictish beast
    • Watercolour filter
    • Lava
    • Pictish fish
    • Pictish snake
    • Whale
    • Rotoscoped disconnection
    • Jute factory processing
    • Printing machine





No comments:

Post a Comment

Final blog of degree 26/7/23

 Final blog of degree                                                                                                                       ...