Monday 3 October 2022

Exploring Practice first blog 03/10/22

 Exploring Practice starter blogpost 03/10/22

 A Scanner Darkly' Might Be the Trippy Sci-Fi Film You're Looking For | by  Dirk Hooper | Media Cake | Medium

Figure 1: Still from A Scanner Darkly (2006):https://medium.com/media-cake/a-scanner-darkly-might-be-the-trippy-sci-fi-film-you-re-looking-for-e70506c1b28 

For my final project at this stage is to show the perspective of an alien who has arrived in Dundee and can see various forms of life in walls and inanimate objects that are otherwise invisible to human beings.  It is an adaptation of an idea that I previously had for the final project of my BA (Hons) Film course at Arts University Plymouth, where an alien came to earth in search of an artefact that contains the secret of the Universe but the artefact was guarded by an alien creature that absorbs memorabilia of an era.   Both films are meant to be an exploration of the concept of perspectivism.

Research question (as of 3rd October)

My main research question at present is:

How can animation be used to explore perspectives?

Of course, this question is entirely subject to change, and by the time I have submitted my assessment video in December, it might have evolved into something else entirely. 

 Influences

My main inspirations that I wish to draw from: 

  • Commercials
  • Coldplay
  • Logorama
  • Hilda (Netflix series)
  • Music videos
  • Dundee
  • Animated series
  • Episodes on perspectives
  • Animated films

Original idea

The original idea that inspired the film as it is today was primarily inspired by my journey through university.  The premise of the film would be an alien arrives on earth and is eager to find an object containing the Secret of the Universe, which was located in an abandoned theatre which he calls the "Cerebral Catacombs" (which in real life would have been played by the New Palace Theatre in Plymouth).  The catacombs are infested with alien creatures, including a creature called the "Linkan" which devours pieces of memoribilia from past eras.  Had the film continued as this, it would have required a much larger film crew and a longer post production process, so I have condensed the film into a more accessible version that could be filmed by two people and have a post production process that, with enough effort, could be done by one person.  

The current idea

The film as it stands could be filmed at various recognizable locations around Dundee, with an abstract narrative with a "flaneur" protagonist.  The film is primarily told through his perspective as he walks through the city streets and encounters various visions of abstract life that only he can see.  The idea I have at the moment for a money shot would involve a blue whale coming out of the Tay and squirting water from the blowhole, which is intended to be a reference to the Antartic expeditions which ventured out of Dundee.  I have evidence to suggest that this kind of animation could be accomplished using Zbrush, Maya or Blender, though I would also require some fluid simulation for the blowhole element.  

I am also keen to try out some 2D animation that would be visible in mural-friendly walls or ceilings of life associated with city life as well as some more abstract ideas such as snakes or boats visibile in the skies.  I will need to research and practice these techniques to confirm what I want the film to look like.  I will also need to develop my character drawing skills in order to get comfortable with drawing scenarios that would be appropriate for the footage, since I recognise that I will not be able to use royalty free footage like I have used in the past.

The type of animation used will be very much influenced by the mood that I am setting for the particular shot, as will the colour scheme.  The visuals will definitely be a signal in the film as to how the character is feeling in this particular moment, so blue will indicate a more melancholic vibe whilst a warmer colour scheme will indicagte that he is content.  I also aim to experiment with filters to give an indication of the era which I am referencing in a particular shot.  I will have to go on a recce of the area with sketched beat boards to establish how the film will be edited and where the protagonist is taking us.  

Finally, since it has been a while since I've practiced some professional videography, I will need to experiment with the cameras available from Digital Equipment Loans in order to reacquaint myself with the basic principles of filmmaking and to better draw my moodboards.  


Personal reading list/things to research

  • A Scanner Darkly
  • Apollo 10 1/2
  • United Airlines - A Life (2004)
  • Coldplay - "Up and Up" music video
  • Waking Life
  • 2D animation techniques
  • Maya
  • Zbrush
  • Music video making-of books
  • Animated commercials
  • Adam ruins everything
  • Everything, everywhere, all at once

Personal interests

  • Cycling
  • Trains
  • Music
  • Commercials
  • Coldplay
  • Cinemagoing
  • Drawing
  • Baking
  • Television
  • Advertising

One of the biggest personal interests I have is the band "Coldplay" led by Exeter-native Chris Martin, as I went to my first pop concert featuring them earlier this year.  The performance in Glasgow featured scripted animations on stage that complimented the mesmerizing colour schemes dispayed with the fireworks.  This perfectly complimented the music and the love that they had for their craft. 

I have gone with advertising as one of my influences as it was part of my apprenticeship at Brands Media in Torquay, as is essential to measuring how the audience is engaged with the things you make, as well as the means that companies can go to promote their services.  Most companies have utilised a similar muted colour scheme and simplistic shapes for their promotions, which makes them more accessible to me as I can learn them more easily.  I intend to produce some animations with some similar mise-en-scen and messages to convey a sense of familiarity.  


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final blog of degree 26/7/23

 Final blog of degree                                                                                                                       ...