Tuesday 9 May 2023

Priorities for next term 9/5/23

Priorities for this term                                                                                                                                    9/5/23

Figure 1: 2019 Drone Video

Here we are in the last term of the course, and I've found out that I need to make an exhibition space for my final degree show as well as one last assessment video which is more focused on the module rather than the year as a whole.  We will have lectures and sessions to keep us occupied, but the dates for those have yet to be confirmed.  For the timebeing, I need to keep tailoring my cover letter for job applications, and I've been told it takes at least two months before you can find a place that actually hires you.  I've also had to make a work-friendly portfolio that shows your best work without giving away any contact details.   My showreel is as good as it can be at this point.

Priorities for the rest of term:
  • Complete material for exhibition space
  • Complete final assessment video
  • Get a drone shot of Cox's Stack
  • Keep applying for jobs and tailoring cover letter
  • Do practice interviews
  • Develop animation practice
  • Create original character  
After my feedback which highlighted the obvious points (have dynamic movement in VFX shots), I've also realised that some of the shots might have benefitted from being shot in better conditions such as the whale, and the fact that the animation could benefit from fewer frames (I might have overdone the animation frames on the deer figure test).  I also need to work on some more compositing for some other shots.

Figure 2: Lava composite test

This is the latest composite test for the Dundee Law scene in my film where the protagonist sees a vision of lava surrounding him, indicating the landmark's previous life as a volcanic sill.  The previous attempt used an uneventful static shot with no movement, and the tutor said it needed replacement.  So I went back to the location and made a new shot where the camera would pan across the legs of the bench and the lava made in after effects would have a moving mask as the shot panned to simulate lava surrounding the bench.  Whilst this shot does still operate under the rules of a playground, in that lava is primarily something that you can just jump over, I hope that this shot has a better reception.  If not I will most likely have to go back and try the shot again with some dolly track to fully make it effective.

The main plan with the Cox's Stack shot, the main one that needs a second do-over is to make a shot that has smooth movement and life occuring.  One suggestion for remedying the issues with the previous shot is to shoot the footage of the tower over several hours and to speed up the footage to simulate the effect of timelapse photography as well as to highlight the abstract perspective of the protagonist.

I aim to grow with any company I join, adding a new perspective to the workload and the dedication needed to get the possible results.  I hope that I can become an integral component of your company and share my knowledge with your own, as well as commit to whatever task I am given.  My animation experience has given me a whole new work motif when considering the content I make and the audience I appeal to, and I hope to grow this experience along with you.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final blog of degree 26/7/23

 Final blog of degree                                                                                                                       ...